I have been introduced to Whitney Cummings‘s stand up routine over the summer, she is funny a little mainstream and honest. Not a lot of stand up comedians can act but Cummings pulls it off. I love the fact that her show is neither a portrayal of a marriage comedy or a single girl trying to find love. She plays a loud mouthed,ungraceful photographer named Whitney (as if it is called something else she’ll forget her name?!) who has a steady boyfriend of 3 years Alex played by Chris D’Elia who as it turns out is pretty funny .
A lot of Cumming’s stand up material is there in the pilot such as the wearing a hoody and the role playing fiasco. She has done this previously where in interviews she would repeat jokes instead of offering new material which is a cause for concern that the show will repeat the same joke over and over again in a different form. You will not get a dose of pure female comedic genius like that of Tina Fey’s or Amy Poehler’s for sure, Cummings’s humor is entertaining but not brilliant, she offers a realistic cynical look at relationships and the dynamic between men and women and if the show hires some great writers to support that theme it will do really well.
First impression: not safe from cancellation because some people are bound to hate Whitney especially when NBC offers some challenging comedies such as Community, Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.
In all, the show is funny and entertaining,It needs some recasting since some of the supporting cast is not impressive BUT I am excited to see what it offers next week while I am very realistic about the possible disappointment.
Some characters on TV drew the short straw in life, we love them but we can’t avoid the fact that when the writers cooked up the character they were thinking of the most unfortunate people they know from high school orchildhood.It can’t be helped some characters just seem to face bad luck everywhere they go. You look at them and you say “How the hell did this person happen” but again we love them anyway.
1. Ben Chang Community played by Ken Jeong : He’s not only insane but also he has nothing going his way. He’s homeless, friendless and obnoxious.He follows the study group around like a lost puppy (an ugly puppy) and gets constantly rejected. He should have a disease named after him.
2.George Costanza Seinfeld played by Jason Alexander : He is a mesh mash of horrible, he was unemployed for a long time, he is cheap and falls short in every aspect .No one wants to be George and if you are a George get a personality altering surgery or something I don’t care how … change it now !
3.Morgan Grimes Chuck played by Joshua Gomez: He might be a spy now but there is no denying that Grimes is a loser, he might not be as horrible as others on the list but he has his fair share of bad composition with a hint of dorkiness.
4. Andy Dwyer Parks and Recreation played by Chris Pratt: he is the epitome of underachiever, though he is a fun guy to be honest he is an embarrassment, he’s not the guy you take home to meet your parents.Luckily he found someone to share his insanity and life.He works as a shoe shining man in a government building (good right! wait for it ) after being homeless and living in a pit outside his ex-girlfriend’s house where he before fell and broke his 2 legs . One word for this character…Stray
5. Liz Lemon 30 rock played by Tine fey : If you watch the NBC hit show you will not need me to explain,but I’ll do it anyway. Liz is the producer of a TV show in NBC (good for her right?! wrong) that is the only aspect liz manages to pull off. She is messy and disorganized, her personal and social life is a disaster, her dating history reads as the “who is who of trashy leeches” .
7. Phil Dunphy Modern Family played by Ty Burrelle : this suburban family man is as dorky as they come.He rarely does anything right and always manages to get into trouble for our comic amusement. He’s a great dad and husband but never to take out in public.
So here you have it, as I was watching a character in my life unfold as a total mess, I list this for your summer pleasure to remember that not all are lucky,smart,beautiful,graceful or eloquent but all are loved.
Note: the quote listed above in the title is from NBC’s Community.Follow @lonestarjrs
Thursday, my favorite day of the week, has landed .Here is what you should be looking forward to.
NBC Thursday Night Comedy: The best talents in comedy all lined up together for your pleasure:
- Community Season 2 Finale : “For a Few Paintballs More” part 2 of the paintball saga and a sort of a “star wars” review, Greendale collage takes down a mystery enemy.
- The Office : “Dwight K. Schrute, (Acting) Manager” the title alone promises good fun and the misery of others in the office. Dwight brings the reign of hell as he becomes the temporary regional manager of the Scranton Branch.
- Parks and recreation: A delight of 2 episodes YAY! “The fight” Leslie offers Ann a Job at city hall and Ann is cavalier about the offers which ignites their first fight ever. “The Road Trip” Ben and Leslie take a road trip to Indianapolis and Leslie is worried she can’t fight her feelings for Ben anymore (please don’t fight) , Ron takes on an unsuspecting protégé to teach him about government.
- Vampire Diaries :”As I Lay Dying” #poorDamon has been trending on twitter for a reason Damon is dying .He is hallucinating (Delena kiss promised) and trying to die in dignity luckily Stephan is trying to save him. Who is to say what is going to happen the writers of the CW hit have made it clear that no one’s safe this season and the bodies keep piling up .
- The Big bang Theory:“The Engagement Reaction” Howard tells his mom he’s engaged and that news puts her in the hospital . Will we be fortunate enough to meet the screeching mom? I hope not. Sheldon hangs around in the germ infested hospital -that’s always a treat-