It’s back and feels like home again. The season 3 premiere of Community is as brilliant as always and a little more , it had a season one feeling but not really. We are introduced to new characters and dynamics of who is what are changing. To deliver on his promise of being less wierd the episode opens with a dream sequence of Jeff (Joel Mchale) flying in the sky singing, then the whole school breaks into song and dance, Abed (Danny Pudi) making eye contact, Annie (Alison Brie) a little too cozy with Jeff ( we’re gonna sleep together)and with black underwear showing (maybe Jeff is dreaming of what underwear she might be wearing, he really really wants to sleep with her). Jeff snaps back into reality summoned by Annie’s voice and they are in the study group room again discussing Pierce.
Pierce wants get back to the group and Jeff doesn’t want him back,Jeff argues to the group and to us the audience (with ulterior motives)that this unity of the study group goes beyond taking one class and staying in collage together as they are now a family and will be always in each others lives.Karma would have it Jeff is kicked out by the new biology professor to be replaced by Pierce.
Jeff’s imperfections and reliance on the group takes center stage and we see first hand how Jeff has changed, in season one he wanted to be left alone and now he struggles with sitting friendless in the cafeteria and being excluded. Jeff has become his worst fear, the uncool outsider, the Pierce. In my opinion Jeff’s worst nightmare is becoming Pierce when he grows older.
Jeff then tries to convince Professor Kane to let him back into the class and is denied his request because his new professor hates him, he really does Jeff was not wrong there, so expect those two to butt heads. Jeff finds a picture of Pierce with what looks to be professor Kane (turns out it’s just a black guy a mistake made by Pierce in season one) which leads him to be convinced he is the victim of a conspiracy lead by Pierce, and lets be honest so did we. The writers walked us thorough Jeff’s train of thought knowing that we will be on Jeff’s side to reaveal later that we were wrong hence vindicating Pierce to everyone who thought he was a villain as he yet again saves the day.
This episode felt like an introduction to how things are going to be from now on, I can honestly say that this is one of the few season premiers that I watched and felt that the show has grown as characters, directors and writers.I for one loved the episode theer is nothing better than crazy Jeff, well except for crazy Annie as we will see in next weeks debate-like episode where we will meet Annie’s nemesis “Asian Annie”.
Best Scene: Jeff attacks the group with an axe to destroy the magical study group table. I love the fact that their table now is not perfect it has a crack that is fixed by Annie. That crack will forever stay there representing the season 3 motif “acceptance in the face imperfection”. We will see how the group will grow further into not needing the “magical table” anymore.
P.S: Best lines were Troys’s in this episode as he insults Britta.
Community a personal favorite of mine is back tonight 8/7c pm on NBC with a big musical number. A lot of buzz on the internet on where the show is going in its third season, creator Dan Harmon promises less big production epic episodes and more character based ensemble-driven. I trust him and the writers of Community blindly
In tonight’s season 3 premiere Jeff comes head to head with the new biology professor Kane played by the wire’s Michael K. Williams, Jeff’s smart mouth gets him kicked out of class so prepare to see Goldblooming Jeff with his “Pottery-must-get-Rich” crazy eyes, as shown from the picture above Jeff is not exactly in a normal setting it’s like he’s in a room prepared by Dexter Morgan . Pierce is not in the group and as usual Community writers don’t leave you hanging for long they will address that head on. Pierce will be back but my guess is he will be more welcomed in the group.
Abed is in a state of shock for some reason and Shirley performs a show in the cafeteria.Alison brie promises a hint of a budding romance between Annie and Jeff in the first episode (if you watch the promo they are a little but too close during their dance routine). Jim Rash’s character Dean Pelton who’s a series regular now, collides and get squashed by Vice Dean Laybourne played by the amazing John Goodman. Antagonists will be from outside from the group this year.
Well,I will leave you with this…Community is the kind of show that not only brings back what is genuinely funny, it challenges the format of a comedy show. It needs to be on the air, no doubt about it. I know there are other shows that are on the same time as Community and some might prefer to watch those instead but please remember those shows have no problem with the ratings Community does. Please watch Community live and watch those other shows on line. It is our generation’s (25-35) MASH in the sense that it will be a classic that people still rent and watch 20 years from now .
Before I deliver what the title promised let me just state how ridiculous and unbelievably moronic it is that Community did not get a single Emmy nomination and as I was ranting on twitter a calming message came to me from Danny Pudi calming me down and showing me that a “trophy’ is not what the show is about . I am as many Community fans was pissed but I am over it.
As season 3 of the NBC hit Community is set to primer September 22nd spoilers are surfacing and I’ve been cyber stalking the writers and the series creator Dan Harmon for clues so here’s what I know so far :
1. the study group will take biology together and this choice of class was not random, as Harmon explains in his interview to the Hollywood Reporter the first season was about the group communicating hence the class Spanish as in learning how to talk to strangers. The second season was Anthropology,the study of man, where the group learns to understand and love each other as human beings. For season 3 now that the study group is a family they will tackle the rawness and reality of life which is why having The Wire‘s Michael K. Williams as their biology professor ( who is set to star in 3 episodes so far) is a stroke of genius. Michael K. Williams’s character is described as “a very intense person” who obviously will bring reality check to the group …I’m thinking especially for idealistic Annie,vain Jeff and a pretentious Britta.
2. Dan promises that as in every four chapter story this will be a dark chapter in the lives of the study group . This will be the chapter the group grows and develops the most. My guess is that this season will be more grounded and heart-felt than the previous one. Season 2 was about experimentation and season 3 will be about understanding what those experiences mean. I think season 3 where the group’s life long questions of who they are in the world and the meaning of their lives will be put to the test growing into a stronger group that we can see hanging out together beyond season 4 (Graduation season).
3. Jeff will suffer the most in season 3, his nonchalant cool attitude will be put to the test. Jeff Winger who unwillingly fell in love with his study group will be hassled the most as Dan Harmon describes it.
4. After taking City Collage down Dean Pelton ,played by series regular Jim Rash, have a new nemesis. Played by John Goodman as the never before seen Vice Dean of Greendale’s school of air conditioning repair which as it appears the only pride of Greendale aside from their flamboyant basketball team.
5. As promised Ben Chang Ken Jong’s character will have more authority in season 3 to better employ his comedic talent. Chang will be Greendale’s security guard so expect him to be everywhere and in everybody’s face. Of course expect security on campus to be very low when Chang is in charge so the “ass-crack bandit’ has nothing to fear .
6. Special episodes so far : A Hollween special episode (maybe a haunted house episode?!) and another episode with multiple time lines. (Jeff and Annie in bed with Abed in the middle, how they got there ? the group passed out in the desert? …. till that episode comes we are allowed to dream people!)
7. Pierce is not leaving the group, all of this will be resolved quickly and season 3 will redeem Pierce to the group and show us why we should hang out with him.
8. Expect to see the group’s adventures take them more and more off campus.
9. Gut feeling : we will be getting to know the study group’s family. maybe Jeff’s dad and hopefully mom, Annie’s estranged parents, Britta’s rich over bearing father and Troy’s racist dad.
That’s all folks a result of article reading and cyber stalking you’ll find it all scattered all over the web but here it is all neat and ready for you to read ….Enjoy and remember Community season 2 DVD out September 6th.